Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Traveling, whale watching and exploring the country...isn't this what life is all about?

I'm not sure when it started; I'm not sure why it started, but I have always wanted to travel. The very thought of going to an airport makes me giddy. The idea of seeing new things or being apart of a different culture excites me. I love to travel.

The very first place I remember wanting desperately to go is Australia. I wanted to explore the country, hop with kangaroos and stand in awe of the Great Barrier Reef. I wanted to go to Paris so bad that I learned several phrases in French and started a savings account. All the while reading books on the bridges in Paris and planning my week long trip. (I've not made it there, yet...) My list goes on and on of all the places I would like to see, places I would like to visit, places I would like to live. New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, Amsterdam, Crete, Venice, Africa, Indonesia, London, Seattle, The Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Maine, Boston, Vermont....really I could list a thousand places.

When Patrick and I talk about our dreams and goals in life, mine are always the same: 1. To be a good wife 2. To have children 3. To travel the world. That's all. I don't need a fancy house or a expensive car. I don't need a lot of things. I just want to see things I've never seen and go places I've never been. So when we first got married we started a vacation fund. Every month we put a set amount into our "vacation savings" and save until we've decide to go somewhere.

Now, it was in our plans to go to Europe for two weeks last year, but moving pushed that back. So we've been pondering places to go this year, while we wait until the time is right for Europe again. I was looking online the other day at plane tickets, which I frequently do, and found tickets to Providence, RI for $39 one way. That's a great deal! However, I'm not sure what to do in Providence. I didn't think that far and called Patrick right away. He was somewhat cynical in his, "Sure let's go" response, but I took it as a yes. We didn't talk about it much over the weekend, but I would mention here or there that Providence was nice this time of year (is it?!). Yesterday, Patrick called me and told me tickets to Providence were $29 one way! Wonderful!

When he got home, we talked about this trip. Was it something we wanted to do? Could Patrick get the time off? And before the night was over, we booked tickets to Providence, RI! We decided to just go for it. I've always wanted to travel and see the New England region of the United States. There is so much history there! I'm so excited!

Here's what we tentatively decided to do:
Travel day: Fly into Providence, drive to and stay the night in Taunton, MA.
Day 1: Wake up early, drive to the bay and ride a ferry to Nantucket. Explore the island and stay at a B&B in Nantucket.
Day 2: Leave Nantucket, pick up the car, explore Cape Cod, being sure to do some whale watching and other sightseeing. Stay at a B&B somewhere in Cape Cod.
Day 3: Wake up very early and drive to Boston. Spend the day in Boston, exploring and such. Stay at a hotel or B&B in or around Boston.
Day 4: Wake up early, spend a short bit of time in Boston, leave for the airport. Come home.

I can't wait. We're not leaving until June, so that gives me plenty of time to read up on our destinations and find some great things to see. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great trip! You might want to check out Martha's Vineyard.

Steph said...

We have similar dreams, my friend!
I look forward to hearing more about your plans.
Steph

Anonymous said...

yeah, and Cynthia and Phil stayed in a great place in Boston...I'll see if I can get the name. Happy you!
Erin C.

Anonymous said...

If you go whale watching before I do, I'll be very upset!! But if you are there, man, do it! But still, i'll be umm, upset :)