Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Getting closer...

Oh my soul. Four days and counting until my triathlon. I've been quite anxious and slightly fearful of what I'm about to take on. I'm trying to remember why I said I would do a triathlon. My mind seems to be a blur and unclear of all things sane at this point.

I just finished reading Philippians. How timely is the Lord in all things! I read the fourth chapter and found words of encouragement waiting to be consumed! I've read these words over and over before, but as always the Lord brings me back to simple truth that makes me realize that it is all about Him.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.... I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:6-9, 12-13

Oh, right. Pray and seek the Lord. Why didn't I think of this sooner? Why does my heart get so anxious? Why are my thoughts flooded with negative things when clearly I'm called to think about pure and lovely things? And mostly, why in the world would I ever think that I could do anything on my own...in my own strength? I am, again, humbled.

This week, as I'm tapering off on my workouts and watching what I eat, I will be most mindful to pray and to find peace, contentment and rest in my God. Instead of working my body, I will be working my heart, mind and spirit. Oh, that times like this would draw me nearer to God and that I would long to stay there.

3 comments:

The Royal Garcias said...

Ash, you're going to do so great!!! I know EXACTLY the feeling you're describing. Pre-race jitters... every time I've had them they go away right after you start racing. Then you're so focused on doing what you came to do there is no room to be nervous. Have fun!

PS Thanks for the pics and poop bags.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cayla, you ARE going to do great! I can't wait to see you cross the finish line. :)

Erin said...

Hey, Ashley,
I have the race date in my calendar and will be praying for you then as well as this week. Remember to have fun, too!