Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chicago fun

I dearly love my friend Cayla. I would say she's one of my bestest friends and we've been through a lot together. One thing I love about our friendship is that everything that we've gone through in the last 5 years has been within four months of each other. I got engaged, she got engaged, I got married, she got married, I moved east, she moved east, she got pregnant, I got pregnant.. I'm sure I could go on.

I got a hold of her husband in late June to see how he felt about me surprising Cayla for a weekend. We both got super excited and I know we both had a hard time keeping the three week secret! I was Chicago bound, with nausea and fatigue tagging along.

David picked me up from the airport and we got to their home and I walked in the door like I lived there. I barely remember the details because we both hugged for awhile and cried a little bit. I love surprises!

A few notes: Cayla and David had a birthing class (she's 24 weeks) in Oak Park. So, I went along and wandered through Oak Park for two hours. It was nice, but tiring!
Also, a happy and thankful shout out to David for enduring four and a half days with two tired, hungry, picky pregnant girls. The pork medallions were great and thanks for the ginger ale :) Finally, a friend we went to high school with lives with David and Cayla. He's a chef in Chi-town. It was great to hang out with him.

Thanks to Patrick for letting me leave for a weekend and take this trip. You're great, my love!

So, here is my trip in pictures:

Cayla and I, under a blanket, shopping on State St. We were going to see a concert in the park, but it started raining. (which is why we're under the blanket)David, Murph, Ashley and Cayla at dinner.
Me looking for Frank Lloyd Wright's home, but having no clue were I was. This is my "I think I'm lost" look.
Ah-ha! After retreating back to the shopping area of Oak Park, I found a cold drink and a map of the area. Happily included: FLW's home. PLUS a street of homes that he designed. This is the house he and his family lived in for 20 years. His studio is also attached. For a small fee (of $12) you could tour this home, I opted for outside pictures...
I stopped by Austin Gardens for a nice walking break. It was shady and green. Perfect resting place.

A home FLW designed. It's a 4-story monster... but so gorgeous. It caught on fire in 1923 and FLW came back to redesign it. Nice guy. P.S. All of the homes I saw were quite huge. Some were weird, some were just incredible.

Me and my lovely Sea Bands. They really do the trick with nausea. I would highly recommend them. As you can see, they make you look slightly insane. Whatever.Cayla and her precious baby bump. I can't wait to meet that little girl!!!
HA! David bought this puppet and named him Giuseppe. This puppet was insane and talked a lot :) He also hit people and chased them...
Also, he loved Murph.

The end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! What a trip!! How nice to meet up with Murph too. He looks great! I LOVE CAYLA"S BABY BUMP!!! She looks so cute. I love the "I think I'm lost" picture too cute! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with your bestest friend. And....is this your way of telling me that you and Patrick will be moving over seas next summer???

Love you!!

Jeannie said...

ooh, I love FLW - he's cool. What a fun time!

The Royal Garcias said...

Guiseppe... oh my, this is just the beginning. My mom is bringing more puppets when they come in a few weeks. At least it's entertaining!