Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Rivers of joy.

I learned a long time ago that it wasn't the mountains that gave me faith, or peace, or a revelation of an Almighty God.  It was the deep valleys.  
That where I have seen the Lord and where I have wrestled with Him.  
That's where I have gained confidence in a faithful Creator.  
That's where I learned how to praise God with all of me, not just my voice on Sunday mornings.
That's where I have learned that I'm not alone and I have a Shelter in the arms of God.
That's where I have been carried and where I have laid for days, weary and weak.
That's where I have grown up and where I have gained strength to carry on.

The good news is that valleys, even when they seem like they will never end, turn into mountains.  And on those mountains -- as high as they go -- you get to shout to the whole earth what an incredible God you serve.  Those moments, even seasons, make it all worth it.  
"It" being the darkness and silence of the valley.

The last few days have been emotionally tough.  My heart is a little weary.  
In this valley, the one that I didn't think would become a valley at all, I have become such a grateful and humbled woman.  In this very valley, where I sit at this moment, I have seen sin and have repented.  I have walked and crawled as I seek to know the will of God.  I have been given an incredible amount of endurance to run this race that He marked out for me.

And today, and for a lot of days of the past 10 years, this song has always been sweet. But today -- these words are the breath I'm breathing and the prayer I'm pleading.

I will sing of God's mercy -- He is faithful and good, in all things.
I will pray for a deeper faith -- Faith that assures.
I will walk this valley and look forward to the river of joy -- wherever and whenever it may be.
I will wait, face to the ground, through the silence because, really, this valley could be much worse and my God has calmed greater waters.

amen.



Valley Song Lyrics

You have led me to the sadness
I have carried this pain
On a back bruised, nearly broken
I'm crying out to you

Chorus
I will sing of Your mercy
That leads me through valleys of sorrow
To rivers of joy

When death like a Gypsy
Comes to steal what I love
I will still look to the heavens
I will still seek your face

But I fear you aren't listening
Because there are no words
Just the stillness and the hunger
For a faith that assures

Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia

While we wait for rescue
With our eyes tightly shut
Face to the ground using our hands
To cover the fatal cut

And though the pain is an ocean
Tossing us around, around, around
You have calmed greater waters
Higher mountains have come down

Chorus

Yeah

Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia

Alleluia, alleluia alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia alleluia, alleluia

Oh, Lord sing of Your mercy,
Mercy
Your mercy



No comments: