Thursday, December 14, 2006

On being a homemaker

I really enjoy being a homemaker. I stopped calling myself a "housewife" after too many people asked if I ate bon-bons and watched Opera every day. I certainly do not (although a TV break would be nice some days). I realize that being a homemaker is not looked highly upon in today's society, even more so since we do not have any children.

I remember my first few weeks in Texas, everyone would ask about being married, then ask what I did. Of course I told them I was a homemaker, because I was/am, and they would simply look at me with an arrogant smile and say, "well are you going to look for a job? don't you get bored? what is your degree in?" Oh, how easily we are swayed by the standards of the world.

(I finished one semester of college and have learned to release any regret from that decision. It was, in fact, one of the scariest things I ever did and realize what courage it took to obey what I felt the Lord was calling me to do and go against the grain. I have not been at all approved of, by many, for this decision, but I am glad that I did it.)

ANYWAYS, being a homemaker is my career. Say what you will, or won't. I am a very busy girl and enjoy every second of it. My days are filled and I plan my schedule to fit our family best. There is flexibility and structure with each new week. I love that! My heart is passionate about serving my husband and making our home a refuge from the world. I love entertaining and sharing my home with whoever may come along. I love cleaning and organizing. I love cooking and baking and trying new things. I love running errands and grocery shopping. I love planning meals and making to-do lists. Mostly, I love making Patrick's life easier by doing these things so he doesn't have to.

I have different versions of Proverbs 31:10-31 posted around our home. It's a good reminder of how the Lord would have me work, act, speak and live. I desire to be like this woman and model her lifestyle. In my bible, I have listed adjective to go along with the verses. When I read this passage, I can always see the words I've used to describe this woman and it makes understanding her so much easier. Who wouldn't want to be diligent, loving, caring, hospitable, trustworthy, handy, wise, strong, resourceful, prepared, kind, beautiful, and continually seeking and fearing the Lord? (just to name a few!)

Some days the task of being a excellent wife, a noble woman, seem daunting and unrealistic. Other days, it bring joy to my heart and a smile to my face, knowing that I am striving to please the Lord by being a godly woman, by being a "Proverbs 31" woman. I long to remember to do all things with excellence, from the smallest chore to the largest task. Oh Lord, may I remember who I am truly serving as an excellent wife, as a homemaker.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."
-Gal 1:10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that your job as a "homemaker" is just wonderful. Just like you. :)

Anonymous said...

Ash - I LOVE how you put Proverbs 31 into action words. I really needed to hear that today. Just b/c Emma is in school a lot of people think I have tons of free time. Just the opposite! It's wonderful how you care for Patrick. He is so blessed to have you for his wife! I love reading about your adventures in cooking, too, by the way. Thanks for blogging :)