Sunday, February 4, 2007

Women, are we looking well?

"She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness."

Proverbs 31:27

As I was reading Proverbs 31 the other day, I was captured by these words. I stopped to ponder, "Do I look well to the ways of my household? Am I eating the bread of idleness?" I wrote this verse down and often think about it.

Not only am I a homemaker, I'm a married woman, called by God to be a wife, a homemaker, a woman. It is not only a duty to care for my home, but it should be a privilege as I am serving God by caring for my husband and our home.

How do I "look well to the ways of my household"? How can I live out these verses? Surely God was intentional about choosing these words for godly women to live by. Everyone will have something different to do, to care for, to manage. We each struggle in our own ways and are unique in the ways that we do things best. But as God has called women to these standards, what specific ways can we do this?

For me, I feel like caring for my household means being more efficient with my time and my resources. I need to be more careful about what I put in front of me and how I delegate myself. I feel like I need to be more purposeful in being a homemaker. In doing this, I know that God will be glorified as I seek to lean on Him more to do these things and as I desire to live out His word, His calling even, in my life.

The word idleness convicts me each time I see it. Whether it's in a novel I'm reading or someone utters the word, I really feel God making me aware of being idle. Not only does being idle mean laziness, when used as an adjective it means vain (to lack worth or basis). No wonder I'm so convicted by this small word!

By not "eating the bread of idleness", we are watching our steps closely. We are making sure to be diligent and careful of our decisions. We are not idle in our days. Nor are we idle in our times with the Lord. When we become lazy and vain in our time with the Lord, we become woman who are not as attentive to the Holy Spirit, the needs of others and we cannot make decisions in a godly manner. It's incredible how much we need the Lord to be wives, mothers, friends, daughters, and sisters. Pride creeps in and we think, "I can do this on my own. I don't need anyone. I am the best wife, ever." How sad that so many relationships are ruined by the pride we consume when we are idle in our relationship with the Lord. So I ask this...Are you looking well? What are you eating?
Mirror, Mirror on the wall - make us look not to ourselves at all.
I pray that as I continue to seek the Lord, that He will give me an unquenchable desire for Him and His word. I really want to know how the Lord would have me stay away from the bread of idleness and look well to the ways of my household. I look forward to growing in this way and learning more about who I am and who the Lord wants me to be.


No comments: