Monday, April 16, 2007

Dinner time

One of the great things about "big dinner" holidays is leftovers! Lucky for me, I made the turkey on Easter which gave me much to save and work with. Also, I had mashed sweet potatoes for lunch a few times and they were, as most things are, better the next day!

On Saturday night, I made Creamed Turkey. I tweaked a recipe for Creamed Chicken from my Ultimate Southern Living cookbook (which is a fav of mine) and went from there. I apologize in advance for those of you who love to and, in fact, feel the need to accurately measure all things. I don't. So, for your sake I'll try to give you my best shot at measurements:

Creamed Turkey
1/2 stick of butter, cut into tablespoon measurements
1/2 cup or so diced onions
1/2 cup or so chopped green peppers

Saute these ingredients in a deep pan or a short pot (making sure it can fit the rest of the ingredients well); saute about 3 minutes.

Add the following in this order:
1/3 cup flour (you may need more to thicken as you go); allow butter and flour to merge together before adding the other ingredients.
1 1/2 cans of chicken broth
1/3-1/2 cup of half and half
2 cups turkey, shredded or chunked

Also, a bit of these seasonings:
Pepper
salt (just a bit! the broth can be very high in sodium)
oregano
fresh chives

Stir constantly. Making sure all the lumps are gone. Reduce heat and continue to simmer until ready to serve.

I served this dish over biscuits and it was very good. If you try this recipe, let me know! Or if you have a great variation of cream turkey, I want to know that too!

No comments: