Sunday, July 8, 2007

Update...

So, this morning Patrick and I drove to Johnstown to check out the bike route. It looked tough from the car which meant it was horrible on a bike! After we drove around for a bit I was getting a little (more) hesitant, but Patrick made me ride.


After we got out of the downtown section of the bike route, I started riding. I wanted to stop after about 3 miles, but Patrick was persistent on encouraging me through. Honestly, I don't think he would have let me back into the car. :) He was so great to follow me, with the hazard lights on the whole time, for the whole ride. I would hear whistles and yells coming from our car. It helped so much! Piper came along too and enjoyed riding with his head out the window...probably laughing at me!

The course was described very intensely on the triathlon website. The words themselves freaked me out! Once I got onto the course and was riding, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, the course was tough. The first half is a steady incline. It's not too steep, which is very nice. Toward the end, there is a very significant incline. I had to get off and walk my bike. But I'm proud to say that I only walked it for a minute, then jumped back on. That was the ONLY time I walked my bike! Also, I would sing "Go tell it on the mountain" as I was going up the hills. It was mostly to entertain myself, and the rest of it was a cry for mercy!

Before we got back into the city, Patrick pulled over into a parking lot and I followed. Traffic was picking up and I wasn't comfortable riding with the big guys (cars). When I got off the bike, I felt great. It was so refreshing. Then Patrick told me to run a bit so I could feel the transition. It wasn't too bad, until I walked...then I could barely pick my feet off of the ground.

I got into the car and asked Patrick how far I rode. He looked at the odometer and said...17.5 miles! WOOHOO! I was so excited! I was really proud of myself!

After sitting in the car for about 10 minutes everything sank in. I started getting hungry and tired. My muscles were tightening up and my head was hurting. However, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was such a rush. It was so satisfying. I didn't know I could go that far! Next time, I'll go ever further.

Thanks for your prayers. It was so sweet to know that as I was biking, you all were praying for me. I really appreciate that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go Ash!

Erin said...

That's amazing!! How cool for you!!
I can't wait to hear how the race goes. What is the date again?

Ashley M said...

Erin-

The race is July 28th. It's starts at 8am....eeeeeeee!