Friday, August 3, 2007

Going to the chapel...

A very dear friend of mine is getting married tonight. As I've been praying for her and thinking about her, I can't help but recall the emotions and thoughts I dealt with the few months, weeks, days and hours before I said "I do".
It is a beautiful thing to embrace each season of our lives. I look back and regret not doing so more in each season I've gone through. However, what wonderful and sweet memories I can look upon from the last few seasons of my life!

I remember being single and struggling financially. I remember having incredible roommates and having the privilege of learning from them and about them. I remember being so excited to come home, go out with friends or just enjoy time alone. Things were hard in so many ways, but it seems the things I can think of best are not hard at all!

I remember meeting Patrick and how wonderful (and short) our dating time was! I loved going on spontaneous dates with him to Deep Creek, MD. I loved going to the lodge with him. I loved watching movies and falling asleep in his arms. I loved sharing ice cream with him. It was so special to feel such admiration and love for someone and know that he felt the same way for me.

I remember being engaged and being 13o0 miles away from the love of my life. I remember the tears I cried and the late night phone conversations. I remember the excitement of getting off of a plane and running into Patrick's arms. I remember the fuzzy feeling I had as I saw Sugar Land, TX for the first time.

I remember our wedding. I remember crying tears of joy when I took my first step down the aisle. I remember being so overwhelmed with planning everything that I forgot to enjoy it sometimes. I remember being more consumed with Patrick and the wedding than making time for my friends. I remember what it felt like to leave my closest friends. I remember what it felt like to kiss Patrick when the pastor said, "You may now kiss your bride." I remember the pastor telling me (jokingly) that I was smiling too much. I remember dancing with Patrick, cutting the cake and jumping into a limo to leave all that I ever knew.
The rest is another chapter for another day. A new season with another person to be mindful of. Looking back, I couldn't be more surprised at how God planned each step and each season of my life. I can't help but smile, knowing that He wasn't surprised at all. How reassuring to know that, just as God knew all the things I know now, He also knows every inch of my future. He knows how long we'll live in the house. He knows when we'll have children. He knows when I'll breathe my last breath. I couldn't be more comforted by any other words; He knows. He will always know and even more, He knows best.

Just as I get teary and giddy thinking about the beginning of my life with Patrick, I feel these same emotions rise up in me as I think about all the Lord has done for me and will do for me. I know that I don't deserve a thing and that His love and mercy is enough to bring me to my knees. I know that my God is a sweet, sweet Husband. I'm grateful for my Maker and I'm also grateful for the man he gave me.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

p-dawg with hair!! just kidding, you two will always be newlyweds in my mind, you sappy people, you.