Thursday, August 9, 2007

What's money got to do with it?

I just finished watching the movie, Cold Mountain. It was highly recommended by my (very handsome and wonderful) husband. He really enjoyed the movie when it came out and thought I, too, would like it. I didn't hate the movie. I thought it had a great plot and beautiful story. However, it was long and I never thought it would end. Good or bad, I wanted the movie to be over before the third hour rolled around.

After the movie was over, I sat on the couch crying. I cried a lot throughout the movie (which is really very normal for me). For not liking the movie too much, I can't stop thinking about it! It's what I think about when I'm cleaning, cooking, running errands, working out. I can't stop thinking about the story; the power of love; the meaning of true love; the beauty in not knowing.

So I was contemplating the movie as a whole, not just parts I liked or didn't like. I began thinking about how movies (and books, music...) are determined successful or not by the amount of money they bring in. But really isn't a movie more successful if it touches the lives of those watching it? If it causes someone to really consider the depth of an issue? If it changes the perspective or the person?

I think it's rather shallow that the world has taught us to gauge success on the amount of money something can bring in. Does success measure money? I think not. Does a movie have to be a hit or a book on the best sellers list to determine if it has changed someone? No. Does the most successful man need to make a million dollars and live in mansion and drive a BMW? Never. I think the most successful men I know are humble, thoughtful and respected for who they are, not what they make.

I'm so annoyed by the world. I'm so frustrated with how society tells us to think, rate, succeed.
I could go on and on, but I think I've preached my point.

1 comment:

Carolyn Elizabeth said...

Hey Miss Ash! You are such a wonderful blogger :-) I love tuning into your blog to see what is going on in your life. Can you believe your little Carrie moves into the dorm in a week? I can't!

P.S. Check out my blog--I added a long entry from my work crew experience. It was AMAZING! Love ya Ash!