Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How are you using your words?

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." *Hebrews 10:24-25

The other day, I heard Beth Moore talking about this passage. I am always interested to hear what this lovely lady has to say about scripture and she's didn't let me down. She is always encouraging with her words, even if they are hard to hear. This woman speaks truth! Which got me thinking.....

Encouragement is so necessary for our growth, for relationships. Obviously, some people have the gift of encouragement so it may come more easily to them. However, that does not give anyone who doesn't have the gift of encouragement to be discouraging or blame their lack of encouragement on having another gift. We're called to encourage one another. Why is this so hard?

I think it's hard because of sin. The cynical, sarcastic society we live in has taught us that it's okay to say harsh things, as long as you can make them a little funny. But we're not suppose to be like the world. We're suppose to be Christ-like. How can God get glory if we're acting and speaking as the world does?

I've always hated sarcasm. I just don't understand why people have to be so rude with their words. I don't understand why mean things are said and are to be overlooked because, "I was just kidding". This verse has always made me think twice about what I'm going to say: Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I was only joking!" Proverbs 26:18-19

Don't get me wrong. I've said some stupid, hurtful things. I've probably discouraged more people than I'd like to think. I've seen my words get me into trouble. I've used sarcasm and use it more often than I want to. I just think that we could all use a little nudge toward a more godly perspective of our words.

Here is what the Bible says about our words:
"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise: -Proverbs 10:19

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." -Proverbs 12:18

"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Proverbs 21:23

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil." Psalm 141:3-4

"But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment of every careless word the have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." -Matthew 12:36-37

Beth Moore's point was that the words of other can pierce us deeply, but God's Word is healing. God's Word, which is sharper than any double edged sword, can heal even our deepest wounds. I can see evidence of that in my life. I'm sure you can too. I'm so grateful for the healing power of God's word, which is alive and active! (Hebrews 4:12)

The author of Hebrews had a reason for urging us to encourage one another "and all the more as your see the Day approaching". These times are wicked and evil, full of ungodliness. No wonder we need to offer words of encouragement to fellow believers. We're not here together to push each other away and walk alone, we're on this journey together. Let's speak like we know the King of Kings and strive to bless one another with our words.

Will you be mindful to offer a word of encouragement to someone today? I think I'm up for the challenge.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God was sarcastic, but he was probably allowed & justified :) ...Job 38:5

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! ..."

"surely you know" c'mon Job, tell me, tell me, c'mon...