Saturday, January 3, 2009

Being crafty...

Since we don't have much of a "theme" for the nursery, it's been hard to think about what to put on the walls. I wanted something that would match somewhat with the quilt and bummer we got from ::sigh of contentment:: Land of Nod.

(The mentioned quilt and bumper that I love dearly!)

I decided in my head about two weeks ago that I would make something to put on the walls. After thinking about this a little longer I realized how silly that was seeing that I have a low artistic ability. Either way, I went for it. I wandered around Michael's with an idea and no direction. The helpful (and I assume artistic) associate was kind enough to point me in the right direction and gave me some helpful advice and encouragement. The best thing she said, "He won't notice this thing until he's probably 5. And then, he won't care much." I suppose she was right. I'm honestly doing this more for me and the desire to make the baby's room precious.

Moving on. I bought a blank canvas and some acrylic paint pens and went to town. I used a piece of cardboard for my rough draft and then worked up the nerve to put it on the real thing. I'm pleased enough with how it came out (as in enough not to redo it) and notice the little mistakes here and there. But little hand made mistakes are really not mistakes, but personality and love :) (please agree with me...)

(The said purchased tools)


This little canvas painting will go over the crib (I think) and I'll be sure to post some pictures when the nursery is all said and done. Oh, and Benjamin is the name we've agreed on. Benjamin Patrick McBride. I love the way it sounds and even like Ben as a nickname. When it came down to it, we agreed on three boy names and Benjamin was the only one we could see fitting our little guy.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

That looks great! Maybe Benjamin won't notice it for awhile, but someday he will see that and realize how much his mommy loves him!

Anonymous said...

looks great!! You could buy the wooden letters to spell his name and paint them colors to match the room and hang them up with matching ribbon...I did that and it turned out awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I love, love, love it! I agree with Courtney, one day B.B. will notice it and love, love, love it!!!

Love you!

Mom

Jason and Sarah said...

You did a great job!

Jeannie said...

GORGEOUS! Someday I'm going to buy some canvas, some paint, and just go nuts

Coffman Family said...

Very creative! Love the name Benjamin!

young wife&mom said...

well of course we love the name ben too:)
ben always says...when people use the name ben..that you might not have named your baby after him, but at least knowing him didn't taint the name forever..