Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ashley and Julia...

You know, when Julie and Julia came out I was just kicking myself for not thinking of that idea sooner. I could have written a blog, then a book and Amy Adams could have played me in a hit movie!!! I definitely missed the boat on that one. So I'll just pretend it didn't happen and go on this little adventure anyway.

Side note: I was so spoiled this Christmas and received things that are blessing my socks off! I'm so grateful for the kindness of my family! I got gorgeous diamond earrings, a Le Creuset grill pan, a Le Creuset baking dish (that's small and wonderful and perfect!), The Pioneer Woman cookbook AND Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volumes I and II. Those are just a few things that I'm still overwhelmed by. But, I digress.

Back to cooking. I've decided to work my way around Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volume I until Beta shows up. I'm really looking forward to learning more about French cooking and being "taught" by one of the finest. After looking through a few recipes, though, I told Patrick that I feel like everything is so over my head. And there is a lot of alcohol used in French cooking. That you have to light on fire. In a pan. With a match. Oy.*shaking my head* Bring it on.
After looking through the first few chapters, I have an idea of where and with what I want to start. I had to push myself beyond the sauces chapter to the poultry and soup chapters. I love the idea of making tons of different sauces, but where would I put them?! I'll save those for rainy days. I want to make at least two or three recipes a month from the cookbook until June. This should give me enough time to try different things and learn new techniques, but not overwhelm me. I have a feeling, though, that some months will have many more than two or three recipes when it's said and done.

Here is what I'm making this week (from the book and not):
Chicken noodle soup
Soupe A L'ignon = French onion soup
Coq au vin = Chicken in red wine with onions, mushrooms and bacon. This is something I have been wanting to try for a long time.
Pasta with sautéed veggies and chicken
Soupe au pistou = Provencal vegetable soup
Pork chops
Leftovers

I feel like everything else I make this week seems so boring! But, there is only so much our grocery budget can handle. Especially since I will be buying cognac and red wine this week :) But there are not rules in this adventure, so my simple pork chops could turn into something very French before I'm finished. :)

I'll keep you updated on this adventure. All I need is Kate to help me learn to say all of these things and I'm set! I'm certainly looking forward to learning and experimenting and can't wait to see what comes out wonderfully and what flops terribly. Plus, I'm looking forward to all the things I can make and eat once I'm not pregnant. A whole new world opens up after June, my friends!

So, until next time - bon appetit! (hee hee)

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Let the adventure begin!!