Monday, December 2, 2013

Being wise...part 1

My prayers, recently, have been pleading for wisdom.
Not for anything in particular, but simply to be wise -- to seek The Lord with all of my heart, to long for understanding and more of His word.
There are a few passages that I can't stop reading and praying through.
I love when that happens.

Here is the first...

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." 
Ephesians 5:15-17

Am I making the best of these days?  
These fleeting and precious days that I will never, ever get back.  
Am I seeking the will of the Lord instead of my own will? 
Am I content in serving Him as He has called me right now -- as a wife and momma?
Am I looking carefully at where my feet and eyes and heart are going?

The best of these days could simply be smiling in the face of messes or walking hand in hand with tiny boys.
The best of these days could be snuggling a cooing baby girl, smiling and talking with her for however long she will let me.
The best of these days may look a little dirty or cluttered.
The best of these days is not necessarily the grandest or most perfect or biggest.
It doesn't look over the top.  It isn't rotten or awful, either.

The best of my days is falling on my knees, at the feet of His abundance of love and grace and strength when I do not have any at all.
The best of my days is laughing and smiling, and shrugging my shoulders at chaos.
The best of my days is knowing when to draw lines and boundaries.
The best of my days is also knowing when to let other serve and help.
The best of my days is embracing the call of motherhood with sheer joy and gratitude -- despite discipline and disobedience {because that's all part of the call, too}.
The best of my days is loving my husband and serving him -- not because I have to and not because I want him to serve and love me, but because I absolutely delight in being a helper and partner and friend to him.

Being wise isn't an earth shattering, mind blowing, book reading, over your head characteristic -- it's simply knowing that your heart is best kept in the hands of the Almighty and your days are best lived under His sovereignty.  And I truly love that.

Oh Lord, make me wise with my days and allow me the humility and grace to make the best of each day You have given me...

No comments: