Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Road trip {to West Virginia)

My Gramma is a treasure to me. I spent so much time with her when I was little and loved being with her.  She let me bake with her and clean with her. I helped her snap beans from the garden and watched her cook delicious things. We rode the bus into town together and played together.  I drank a lot of her coffee and she always had chocolate around.  

When I was little and my friends wouldn't let me play, she would say things like: Two is company, three is a crowd, four is too many and five isn't allowed.  But then she would remind me that if I wasn't allowed with my friends, I was her company. It's the little things, you know? 

Either way. My Gramma isn't doing so great.  She was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in the spring.  Hospice is helping care for her at her home. But she's still feisty and as spunky as a 92 1/2 year old woman can be.  We decided to drive up and spend some time with her this summer.   I wanted her to meet Elise and tell her that I loved her, face to face.  And I'm so glad we did. 

We stayed with Kent and Sarah {and baby Cole} and enjoyed spending time with them.  We visited my Gramma often and ran around town.  We spent time with my mom and John, my sister, Carol and Frank, Jason and the girls and even got to see my Grandma Royce {and more Royce family!} -- all in eight days time.  Patrick drove us up and flew back the next day.  And Carol drove home with us {and then stayed for a week!}.  It was good to see family.  It was good to have a car :)

Just a few a lot of pictures from our trip:

Elise doesn't love the carseat.  I spent a lot of time beside her on the way up.

Candy Land with Uncle Kent and Aunt Sarah.

Early morning play time with my crew.

Me and Elise on a rainy day at Chick-fil-a.

Uncle Kent letting Benjamin power wash his truck.  


Gramma's feet. And my feet.  And Elise's {fast moving} feet.

A picture of me hanging in my Gramma's bedroom.

Baby cousins, baby friends.  Cole and Elise are 2 1/2 months apart!

Elise is clearly not as friendly as Cole.  BUT someday they will love playing together :)

Watching Uncle Kent's softball game.

I mean...it's Andrew.

The kiddies with my Grandma Royce.

Andrew having fun with my cousin Audrey.

Elise loved playing with Gramma's oxygen tube. Haha.

Uncle Kent with the little boys.

Playing at the park.

Sharing a bed and snuggling.

Pool time!

Just playing at the pool on a {not so warm} beautiful day!

The boys did a lot of ninja/jedi training with Uncle Kent.

Pap-pap and Elise.

Me and Gramma.

Snapping beans with Gramma.

McBride children with Gramma and Pap-pap

Sweet Gramma kisses.

Treasure! We got to celebrated Cole's first birthday with him! I can't tell you how sweet it was to be there and to spend time with this little guy {and his parents}.

Me and my peeps.

Pit stop selfie on the way home.  

Mimi was all smiles with B at our first {of many} bathroom stops.

So long WVa. See you next summer.

Road trippin.  Maybe this was right before we took a wrong turn and spent an hour trying to get back on our correct route home while trying to hide from Patrick that we were going to drive through the night and come straight home.  Good memories, people!

Elise was not amused with all the pictures. 

Four generations of ladies.

Sweet treasure! Me, my mom, my Gramma, my children!
We will be back in Morgantown next summer for Audrey's wedding!!! Yay! Until then, I treasure the time we got to spend with family and wished they would all move to Oklahoma ;)

No comments: