Friday, May 12, 2006

Another joy of homemaking...

Do you all know how much I love to cook? Well please, let me tell you! I LOVE IT! I really enjoy baking, cooking, creating...whatever it is, as long as I am in the kitchen with some food.

Much to Patrick's liking, I will often find new recipes with things I know he'll really love to eat. I love having dinner ready for him when he gets home and I really enjoy the look on his face when it tastes good!

Today, I am making banana bread. I found the recipe in my "Southern Living" cookbook. (which I got from Amazon.com used for $15.00...score! I use it all the time!) I forgot that we had used all of the eggs for "eggs in a hole" (a new fav in the McBride home) the other night for dinner. So I called Patrick, who was out and about, and asked if he would bring me home a dozen eggs. I waited for him to get home and mixed everything together as much as I could without ruining the recipe. There I had two bowls, liquid ingredients and dry ingredients. Finally, he comes home and I add the (one) egg I need to the mix and go at it.

I poured my gooey, liquid banana mixture into 12 neat little cupcake holders. Ah, gorgeous! Patrick lovingly comes over and puts his hand in the small of my back (so sweet...) and says, "Um, honey...why do those look so gooey?" I replied, very quickly and very defendant of my precious banana muffins, "Patrick, they aren't cooked yet! They get bigger and hard in the oven." (DUH!) So he smiles, probably in confusion as he saw the large bowl of dry ingredients sitting happily (unused) by the oven...right where I was pouring the goo into the pan!

So, I look over (finally!) and oh, I was so upset!No wonder they were so gooey! There were the dry ingredients. If they could think, I'm sure they would have laughed at me and wondered how I've not ruined more things in the kitchen. My husband is so observant when I am not! I obviously could not cook the banana goo all by itself, (well I'm sure I could have...) so I took each cupcake holder and carefully poured the goo into the dry ingredients. I was shaking my head and laughing the whole time.

At last, I mix ALL of the ingredients together and make the muffins with enough left over for a loaf. This event was too good not to share with friends. Thank you for laughing with me as I learn how to be a wife and laugh at the days to come!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

You are a funny funny girl. Now would you like your double chocolate latte with chocolate chips or whip cream and chocolate chips or just whip cream with a cherry on top? :)

I stuck my tongue out at Katherine for you tonight. :P