Friday, December 12, 2008

I never want that to happen again

Wednesday was going to be the highlight of my week. Patrick's company was having a Christmas lunch at my favorite restaurant in Indiana. Spouses were invited, so that meant I was going to be the only non-geologist there. I was willing to sacrifice for Naps (the restaurant) food.

I was out running some errands after I had breakfast with my good friend and then it happened. I was rear-ended. Someone hit me. This is the first accident I've ever been in (that I can recall) and it scared me so much. I immediately started making this weird screaming, groaning noise that I guess I make when something bad happens (because I made that noise when my dad died and when the security alarm went off in our TX house).

I couldn't find my phone, so I got out of my car and remember looking around in a daze trying to process what just happened. I found my phone and called Patrick, then I called 911. Some very nice old man came and stood (in the rain, mind you) beside me as I sat in my car. He kept his hand on my arm and told me it was going to be ok and asked me random questions. I sincerely appreciated that. The cops, detective and other random people asked me questions and tried to calm me down. All I remember saying was "I'm pregnant. I want to make sure my baby is ok. My husband is on his way. Is he here yet?"

Patrick finally arrived and came up to me. It was such a relief to see him. He took me to the ER and they checked me out, then sent me up to the maternity floor and I had at NST (neonatal stress test) to make sure that the baby was okay and that I was not having contractions. All was perfect and I'm certain that this little guy thought the impact was me doing a jumping jack or something because he had fun kicking me the rest of the day! Needless to say, we didn't make it to lunch. I was so disappointed! But his co-workers got us each a "doggy bag", so we could at least enjoy the food!

I went to my chiropractor yesterday and he said my neck has some soft tissue damage and that I have pretty bad whiplash. So I've been pretty sore the last two days, but I'm so grateful that whiplash was all I had to take away from this - injury wise. I was stopped on the road, waiting for a guy to turn left when I was hit. A Ford F150 hit my little CRV and I'm sure my car is totaled (I think he was going about 25mph). I'm happy to say that my CRV held it's own because the guys truck looked like an accordian! God was so gracious in all of this and took such good care of us. I just would rather not be in an accident ever again!

Oh, and one final thing, that morning the friend I was meeting with, Al, said to me, "I have this weird feeling that something bad is going to happen today." And Patrick had the same feeling the night before (but didn't tell me, thankfully). I'm sure God prepared us for this and we're so blessed to serve a God Whose ways, while mysterious and sometimes scary and painful, are always better than ours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would rather that you were never in another accident as well. I am so thankful that you and the baby are okay. And, that Patrick was able to get to you so fast and take care of you. Thanks Patrick!

Love you!

Baby Hancock said...

Oh, dear. Praising God that you are both OK!

Love ya,
Nina

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you and the baby are okay!

T@R@ said...

glad you are both okay!

Morgan said...

oh my gosh!! so scary! i am so glad you both are ok.

Beth said...

Wow! God's hand was certainly on you. I'm so thankful it wasn't worse!

Steph said...

Yes, I am so thankful that you and baby are okay!!! Scary!