Saturday, July 4, 2009

Race #2

Yesterday was my second race. I was completely nervous and thought I was going to throw up on the way there. I didn't train much (again) and was sure I would go into cardiac arrest from running FIVE miles. I was so nervous that I forgot my iPod and we had to turn around to go back and get it :) Luckily we weren't too far into the 40 minute drive there.

When we got there, I checked in and went to the bathroom about eight times :) There was a carnival close by (that Patrick and Benjamin enjoyed while I was running!) and people everywhere. I was slightly intimidated by the 30 people I saw wearing "Pittsburgh Marathon" t-shirts. Oh boy. What did I get myself into?

It was just me, my music and the road. Oh and 300 other runners around me. I kept a slow, easy pace (passing only a few annoying or slow runners). I admired the scenery and checked my heart rate monitor often. I sang to myself and out loud a few times :) I really enjoyed running the race alone.

When I saw the finish line was near, I picked up my pace a little and sprinted in. It was raining a little, but it was so refreshing! I finished the race in 56 minutes and 24 seconds - under my goal of one hour! I felt really great after I was done and was so proud of myself. Pretty good for being so nervous :)

Now I'm really considering if doing the VA beach Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon (Labor day weekend) is something I want to do. Whew. So much to think about!!!

Playing with Benjamin to calm me down :)
My nervous face...
Laughing with Patrick...
Starting line...

Coming into the finish line... striking a pose, of course :)
Me and Benjamin - 16 weeks after having him. Whew!
Family shot!
Patrick and Benjamin. My sideline cheering section - they were great at supporting me and cheering me on. Aren't they incredibly cute and wonderful? I think so!

3 comments:

T@R@ said...

jamie and i were thinking about doing the VA Beach 1/2 but we're not sure if it will work out with our schedules yet (plus i have been a huge running slacker lately ;))....congrats on finishing the race and surpassing your goal :)

mama cindy said...

I think you are pretty amazing!! am so proud of you!!

Love the pictures!

Baby Hancock said...

So proud of you! That's awesome! Love ya!