Friday, November 27, 2009

Thinking about Mary...

Last year, preparing for Christmas was a sweet time for me. I love decorating, baking, giving, receiving, singing Christmas carols - everything about Christmas! But last year... last year was different.

My heart was in such a sweet place as the day we celebrate Christ's birth drew near. I was seven months pregnant and often imagined what Mary must have felt as she was ready to give birth. I loved how God allowed me to draw nearer to Him as my belly grew with the Christmas season.

I was pregnant enough to know that riding on a donkey must have been so uncomfortable, but was a thousand time better than walking for days and days. I was pregnant enough to know that going from house to house and inn to inn to find someplace to sleep must have been incredibly frustrating and completely exhausting. I was pregnant enough to know that sleeping in a stable would be terrible, but giving birth in there would be far worse. I was pregnant enough to know that growing babies need food and I bet food wasn't so easy to find. I was pregnant enough and amazed enough to know that the baby growing in my womb was a miracle. I can't imagine what Mary must have felt! I was pregnant enough to feel my baby move and stretch. I could feel his little feet on my hands and his hiccups throughout my body. I bet Mary treasured those things in her heart, too.

I often consider Mary's humility, her desire to serve and please God and her godly attitude. We don't know much about her, but I don't imagine her complaining too much as she carried the Child of God. I'm so thankful for her example. I found myself playing "Mary Did You Know" over and over in my head and constantly wondering "did she know"?!

This year, as I prepare for Christmas, I will be decorating and baking and shopping and singing with a sweet baby boy attached to me. A baby who hates when I leave the room and loves when I make faces and sing to him. A baby who will babble all day with me. A baby who reminds me of my sin and brings me to my knees without even knowing. A baby who brings me joy that I didn't know possible and a love that overwhelms me. A baby who can't say much, but always says just what I need to hear.

This year, I look past the discomfort and excitement of pregnancy. I can certainly still relate to where Mary was on her journey, with pregnancy and to that inn. But as Christmas draws near and I celebrate what this holiday is really about, I remember the joy of labor and bringing a child into this world by God's grace and strength. I'll remember holding my baby boy and instantly falling in love. I'll remember looking into my baby's eyes and seeing the kindness of God. This year, I can relate with Mary on a whole new level - a place where only a mom could go and a mom's heart could know. A place of sacrifice, humility and selflessness. A place where only God can meet your needs and fill you up to keep going.

Thank You, Father, for choosing Mary and for allowing us to relate to her and see her example. Thank You, God, for Jesus - a sweet baby boy, who came to live and die and rise again! Remind us of YOU all season long!

Here are the lyrics to Mary Did You Know. They always humble me and cause me to praise God. This year, thinking of Mary kissing her baby boy and rocking him to sleep gives me chills. Knowing she was holding her Savior, the Son of God - that just brings tears to my eyes.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am

1 comment:

mama cindy said...

Wonderful blog!