Sunday, March 28, 2010

Just a Short Run

On Saturday, I ran my first race of the season. It was a 5k in Pittsburgh called "Just a short run". It was a great event and well organized. This race was super fun and very special because I ran it with my great friend Meghan. We've been training for this since January 3rd!

This was Meghan's first race, ever. Her new years resolution was to get in better shape, start running and finish a race. Meghan is an awesome workout partner because she's got drive, perseverance and a serious competitive streak like I've never seen! She's so good for me! My friend has lost 11 pounds and went from running an 11 1/2 minute mile and about dying to finishing a 5k in under 30 minutes!!!

(Squishing through the finish line. It got kind of crowded right there!)

The race time is still unofficial (the results aren't posted yet), but we're pretty sure we finished in 29 minutes. This is a personal record for me. I've not run too many 5k's, so the record wasn't hard to beat :) My goal is to run another 5k this summer and finish in 26 minutes. I've been speed training a lot this year and I really want to see the fruits of my labor!
(Finished!!!)

Meghan and I have had so much fun training together. We were already close, but this definitely sealed the deal :) I'm so proud of her. She's come so far and it's been such a blessing to watch her grow and change and turn into a runner!

We all went to Cranberry the night before and hung out. We scored a hotel on priceline (for a steal!)! We let the boys play in the pool, had a nice dinner and Meg and I even got away to do a little shopping and have some girl time. I just can't tell you what a fun weekend this was!

Bonus: I got Meghan to sign up for a 10k this weekend! I'm going to have this girl addicted to races before she knows it! Holla! I'm so excited to do a 10k. It just makes me want to sign up for a half marathon!!!

Playing in the pool! B was loving it. Dylan, on the other hand, took a while to warm up!
Having fun with daddy!
Swimming with momma!

2 comments:

mama cindy said...

Congrats to the both of you!! The Benjamin loves the water.....just like his mama. :)

Jeannie said...

That was inspiring! Why didn't you just shove that girl outta the way at the finish?!?! MOVE SISTA!!