Thursday, January 3, 2013

Teachable moments

DO you ever have moments, as a parent, when you are placed right in the middle of an incredible opportunity to teach a valuable and lifelong lesson?  And then, even as you are responding, you realize that you really missed it?  As in, wow.  Gone.

Today Benjamin pushed Andrew and he cried and cried.  I had B say sorry and give him a hug.  And then it happened.  I made Benjamin look at Andrew and say, "You're my only brother.  And I want you to be my favorite friend.  Let's. do. this." I missed it.  That was the lesson I gave today.  Awesome.

This happens to me more than I would like to admit.  And luckily God renews my strength and sanity and I can approach the next struggle or lesson or whatever with confidence that I can be a mom and raise children without screwing them up too much.  I'm beyond grateful for the grace that my boys extend to me -- even though they don't know it yet.  Or maybe the grace that God extends to me through them -- over and over and over again.

When I discipline the boys or try to get a teachable moment out of a difficult situation, I feel like most of the time they just play the part I hand them.  I tell them something, ask them to repeat it and give them a pep talk about how much I love them and want the best for them and that we should always make lemonade when given lemons {I was taught this hands on and by watching my mother-in-law.  One of the most valuable things ever. I'll go on and on about it another day...}. Then we go on our way.

But isn't this how I work?

So often I just play the part I think I'm suppose to play when I come before the Lord.  I know the words to say and prayers to pray.  But I don't want to live that way.  I want to figure out the lesson.  I want to work through the junk and find the treasure.  I want to cry about it and listen and remember -- He. is. God.

I want to be teachable and moldable and I want to grow and change.  And I know I will never get that way unless I take the teachable moments before the Lord -- the life struggles I never asked for or the lessons that keep coming back for the thousandth -- and I want to know peace and joy and contentment.  But not in anything here on earth, friends.  I want to know peace and joy and contentment in the fullness of knowing God.  And I know that takes a lot more than I give on a regular basis.  And I know, more so, that it doesn't look like living in the plans I've made -- but in the truth that sets me free and the power of the cross and the sovereignty of God.

Anyways, I'm all about surrender and making lemonade of these lemons and trusting deeply in the Lord.  So... let's. do. this.

No comments: